Monday, May 26, 2008

Civil Rights Musician: Joan Baez

Joan Baez, a white folksinger born in 1941, is very well known for her music during the sixties. She played with great artist such as Bob Dylan and at Woodstock in 1969. But her activism at the time of the Civil Rights Movement is what separated her from other artist. Her famous song "Oh Freedom" was sung for the first time on the day of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech in Washington, DC. This song quickly became popular and like an anthem to civil rights reformers. "Oh Freedom" was originally sung by slaves in the south dreaming for freedom to end, but Baez's rendition is what made it so famous.

Oh, freedom,
Oh, freedom,
Oh freedom over me.
And before I'd be a slave
I'd be buried in my grave
And go home to my
Lord and be free.
No more moanin' etc.
No more weepin' etc.
No more shootin' etc.
There'll be singing

No comments: