Saturday, May 24, 2008

Harlem Renaissance Musician

Louis Armstrong

Armstrong is known as one of the best jazz players of all time. He grew up poor in New Orleans where he learned to play music then moved to New York later on in his career. The records by Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives and Hot Sevens are some of the most famous jazz music.

Wrote "What did I do to be so black and blue"

Cold, empty bed,
Springs hard as lead,
Pains in my head,
Feel like old Ned.
What did I do To be so black and blue?

No joys for me,
No company,
Even the mouse
Ran from my house,
All my life through
I've been so Black and blue.

I'm so forlorn,
Life's just a thorn,
My heart is torn,
Why was I born?
What did I do to be so Black and blue?
I'm white inside,
But that don't help my case.
Cause I can't hide
What is on my face

What Louis Armstrong is saying in this song is how there were still so many differences in the treatment of blacks compared to whites. He said he was "black and blue" as if to metaphorically say that he is treated just as badly as black slaves were 60 years earlier. The blacks life was hard at this time, he even calls is "just a thorn." Also, he directly addresses that he is equal, or "white inside", but still recieves ill treatment becuase "what is on his face", or the color of his skin.

This time period was based on the desire to overcome white supremacy and for blacks to find a name and place for themselves. Jazz, and other music was a way to voice the beleifs and break some of the restraints of 1920s society.

No comments: